Facebook RSS Feed
Englisth | 日本語

August 12, 2017

Hokkaido Touring Day 25: Rain and Rain

English | 日本語
I woke up at 5 AM. The rain from yesterday is still falling. My tent is soaked in both fly and groundsheet. I'm trying to keep the inner tent dry, but it's a futile effort as I have to put it in one compression bag (sighs). Can I just put the inner tent away? The baths open at 6:00, so I take my laundry and put it in the dryer for 30 minutes for 100 jpy. In the meantime, I eat breakfast which was porridge with leftover rice, scallops and vegetables.
I left at 7:30 in the rain, and there was no sign of it stopping. The conditions were so bad that it would occasionally rain sideways. In addition, the same roads I took yesterday were narrow and steep. I had no choice but to escape to the sidewalk every now and then, but the sidewalks were not very well maintained. So I got my pace very slow.
After an hour and a half of riding, I took a break for tea and doughnuts I bring. There are no shops around here, as there was yesterday. It was raining, so I didn't take any video or photos, and just kept riding.
As usual in the rain, my phone's screen is not responding well. This cell phone is really useless when it gets water drops on it. After a while, I found some water on the inside of the phone's waterproof cover. I took it out in a hurry, but it was already too late. The phone has stopped responding. I'll try to recover later when it dry if available... It is a big problem to not be able to use my phone here. I'll just have to find a WiFi access point and use the iPad instead of the cell phone. Chinese phones are cheap, but few of them were waterproofed then. I decided that I'll definitely buy a Japanese waterproof phone next time.
From Yokohama town, I crossed the Shimokita peninsula and came out to Rokkasho village. There were many slopes because I was crossing a mountain pass.
Hydrangeas were in full bloom. The temperature, the rain, and the hydrangea make it look just like June in Tokyo. It was lunchtime, but there was no restaurant but I found a convenience store called "Somehow Family Shop" and ate a rice ball and a cup of tea. I asked the clerk "was it always like this during the Bon holidays ?" Then he answered it was abnormal this year.
When I got to Misawa, it finally started to look like a town. I found the familiar convenience stores as in Tokyo, and I took a break at Family Mart to get WiFi. While charging my iPad, I connected to internet and checked the campground near here. Fortunately, there were three campsites within 10 km, so I looked at them carefully to see if I could make it, but one of them required a reservation. I need to apply for the other one at the government office, and finally the only place I could go was Kawayo Green Park 8km away. When I arrived there, there are no showers or baths, and no places to shop nearby, despite the high cost (800 jpy). In addition, I can't take out the garbage. Of course I think no one would come to this place usually. If I hadn't been tired from the rain, I wouldn't have come here either. Fortunately, I was the only one camping, so I had the covered cooking area all to myself and took shelter from the rain.
It was cold and I couldn't bring myself to wash myself, so I just wiped myself down with a towel. I washed my clothes and cleaned the mud off of my bike and trailer, and braved the rain under the roof. Since I couldn't stop by to buy something, I cooked pasta with leftover ingredients today, but it was delicious and I had a full meal. Is there enough left for two more pasta sessions?
I found a table tap at the power source in the cookhouse, so I borrowed it. It hasn't been able to charge the battery by solar panel at all because of continuous rain, and it's pretty bad. I'm wondering if I should take a rest tomorrow where I can get a power supply, or use the train if it continues to rain. My iPad doesn't need so much power if I'm reading a book, but I don't want to use it with Google Maps running because the battery ran out in no time. I have to find a map application that can be used offline and doesn't consume battery power.
I rode two days yesterday and today, but I don't want to ride in Aomori (the Shimokita Peninsula side) anymore. It's too unsuitable for cycling. Next year, I'll either take a boat from Tomakomai to Hachinohe or Oarai, or fly back.

From Mutsu town to Misawa town 95km

0 コメント:

Post a Comment