Facebook RSS Feed
Englisth | 日本語

July 21, 2017

Hokkaido Touring Day 3: Toward Cape Erimo

English | 日本語
I woke up at 6am and left at 7am. It's not very scenic along the coast with a lot of fog, but it's cool and nice to ride the bike. Unfortunately, it's headwind everyday.
I passed by the former Hidaka Line's Mitsuishi Station. Nowadays, there are no trains running, and the station building has been renovated into "Fureai Satellite Mitsuishi", which is a resting place.
Hidaka is famous for the production of kelp, and the people is drying them here and there. While I was taking a break at the convenience store, I got talking to a white-bearded man in his 60s. He unfolded a paper map and told me all sorts of interesting places to visit in the future.
Today's route has a lot of tunnels. I have no chances to turn off the light because of too much of them. It was so cold in the tunnels that my breath turned white even in summer. Fortunately there is not much traffic.
Halfway through the ride, I noticed the brakes were working one way. It must be because of the airplane carrying the bike. I should check the axle relation better when assembling the bike.
I headed to Cape Erimo. Although the elevation wasn't so high, but It was quite tough because I had to go up and down 40 meters repeatedly. Moreover, I couldn't see anything in the fog at Cape Erimo, and as far as the shop was concerned, I took a commemorative photo and left early. Considering that, if the timing is right, I'm sure I'll get a completely different impression than this, I still think travel is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
I arrived at the 100 ninhama beach campground at 4 pm. There is a beautiful grassy site there, a coin-operated laundry, a garbage dump, and a bath (not a hot spring) about 3 minutes walk away! The price is only 300 jpy. It's quite a nice place.
While I was taking a bath, a local man told and gave me a lot of advice such as he liked the hot springs and the foods around here. Of course, I marked the places on google maps later.
When I got back from the bath and was making dinner, a couple of student bike riders arrived. The girl had a tremendous amount of stuff in their front and back pannier bags. I saw about 10 cyclists today, all of them carried orthodox large pannier bags. And the people I talked to were all amazed at the small size of my bike and my trailer. I think it's a pretty modern and reasonable setup, but I'm not sure that the world's bicycle touring image has not changed over the decades. And when I see that all the cyclists I meet are circling Hokkaido clockwise, I could understand why I have to meet a headwind everyday...
A light rain began to flicker from the time I took a dinner. According to the weather forecast, it will rain in a few days. It's just the way it is. I hadn't built my body beforehand for the long touring, so as expected, my legs were heavy on the third day of touring. But I'm not worry about it because I know my body will change after a week, so I just have to be patient for a bit longer.
I fired up my Macbook for the first time on this touring and organized my photos and notes record. There was an electrical outlet near the campground office, so let me charge my mobile battery there. I went to bed around 10 pm. Good night!

From Hidaka to Cape Erimo 100 km

0 コメント:

Post a Comment