Facebook RSS Feed
Englisth | 日本語

July 17, 2021

Western Japan touring 2021 Day 3 To Matsumoto with steep pass

English | 日本語
Because of the high altitude, the temperature drops to almost 10℃ at dawn, even though it is over 30℃ during the day. Unlike in the tropic countries, sleeping bags are indispensable even in summer. Today I woke up at 5am. The weather is fine, but the laundry is still not dry.
I set off at 6am. First, I had to stand and paddle uphill for over 10km to Fujimi Pass.
Riding with standing on the pedals may seem like a daunting task, but the riding style here is similar to climbing stairs. When I put my weight on the pedals, the pedals are lowered by gravity to create propulsion of bike. Just before the pedals descend to the bottom, I shift my center of weight to the top of the opposite pedal. This allows me to climb without getting too tired, since my own muscles are only used to move and maintain balance on the bike. Of course, the faster to repeat the action makes the faster to go, but there is a difference in fatigue level between climbing stairs slowly and running up them. It's important to match my pace.
On the way, I took a break at a roadside station.
Arrival at Fujimi Pass. The next 15km to Lake Suwa was all downhill this time. I felt like a skier carrying my own ski up and down the mountain. But there are no lifts for bicycles.
On the downhill, I had a panoramic view of the Yatsugatake Mountains that was still covered with snow.
I took a short break at Lake Suwa. The breeze felt good.
There's even a free footbath 😊
When I asked google maps how to get to Shiojiri and Matsumoto from here, it told me to go through the mountains....
At the near the Okaya IC I found a message board for bears on the old Nakasendo road😱. From the looks of the road, the slope is going to be tough...
The spring water at the beginning of the climb. It's nice and cold!
The locals used this water for drinking and brought polyethylene tanks with them.
I pushed up a poorly paved mountain road with an incline of more than 20 degrees for almost 30 minutes. For my riding style, When I can't use my body weight to go bike forward, I have to push it. I don't ride bike in steep slopes because I tend to hurt my joints and tendons when I use muscle power strongly to climb. If you like hills, you should definitely ride here, but if you have heavy luggage, it's safer not to go 😅 You should go around the national highway.
From the Shiojiri Pass in the photo, I went down a steep slope that I can't go while on a bike, and then went toward Matsumoto City.
On the way, I found a buckwheat noodle restaurant that serves authentic Shinshu soba. I had to try it !😋
I arrived at Matsumoto Castle. It's a beautiful castle. Of course, admission is free.
In the city, I went to a super Sento (public bath), which was a natural hot spring. It brings me back to life... 😊.
After this, I couldn't find a place to pitch a tent easily, so I ended up at a riverbank. There is no rain forecast in the area, so I should be fine until morning...
I brought a large battery this time, so I can stay in the wild field for three consecutive nights.

Hakushu town〜Matsumoto city 85km (total 250km)

0 コメント:

Post a Comment